Getting a successful treatment plan for any kind of medical condition lies greatly on the competency of your doctor. Hence, it is important that you find one that is credible, especially when it comes to your digestive health. Our digestive system should always be at its best condition given that this is where our body’s fuel gets processed—the food and drink that we consume. This article will guide you to find the right gastritis specialist in Singapore that can help you keep your gastrointestinal tract healthy.
But before we proceed, let us first know some important information about gastritis and a gastritis specialist.
What is gastritis?
Gastritis is a collective term used to describe various medical conditions that have a common symptom, which is the inflammation of the stomach lining. In addition, the following signs may also be indications of gastritis:
Who can treat gastritis?
Gastroenterologist is a doctor who can help treat gastritis. They specialize in everything concerning the digestive system, including other organs such as:
- Bile ducts
To become a gastroenterologist, one must complete 4 years in medical school, plus another five to six years of further education after graduating that focuses on specializing in gastroenterology.
Gastroenterologists can diagnose and treat conditions, disorders, and diseases affecting the gastrointestinal tract. They can also carry out various non-surgical procedures, such as:
- Capsule endoscopy
- Double balloon enteroscopy
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography
- Endoscopic ultrasounds
- Insertion of feeding tubes
- Liver biopsy
Your GP may ask you to consult with a gastroenterologist, if you experience gastritis.
When should you call a gastritis specialist?
We all experience stomach aches and indigestion. Oftentimes, these do not need any major medical interventions and the symptoms go away on their own. Suffering from indigestion or a tummy ache for an extended period of time is a different story. This is when you should call a gastritis specialist, especially if your symptoms have become worse and you feel dizzy or vomit your food or blood. You should also consult with a gastritis specialist when you notice changes in your stool, like in its color or consistency.
When left untreated, gastritis can advance to a more serious condition, such as bleeding and ulcers in the stomach. It can also increase your risk of developing stomach cancer.
What are the ways to diagnose gastritis?
Your doctor will conduct a physical exam and ask you about your family medical history. If it is suspected that you may have gastritis, then further tests can be recommended. These tests are:
- Endoscopy – An endoscopy is a medical procedure that uses a flexible tube where a light and a tiny camera is attached to one end. This tube is inserted into your mouth and passes through your throat, esophagus, stomach and small intestine to check your GI tract’s condition.
- Pylori Test – This test checks whether there is the presence of the bacterium H. Pylori in your gut. This can be done through a breath or stool test.
- Upper digestive system X-ray – Also known as a barium swallow, this procedure is done using a metallic, white liquid and an X-ray to collect a series of images of the following parts of your upper digestive system: esophagus, stomach, and small intestine. The liquid contains barium and functions to coat the digestive tract in order to make an ulcer stand out once the X-ray images are taken.
What are the ways to treat gastritis?
There are several ways to treat gastritis and which type to use highly depends on the underlying cause of the stomach lining’s inflammation. Medications that are prescribed by doctors are:
- Antibiotics to eliminate H.pylori bacteria
- Medicines that lessens the production of acid
- Medicines that promote healing and block the production of acid
- Medicines that help neutralize the acid in the stomach
What are some tips to choose the best gastritis specialist in Singapore?
Choosing the right gastritis specialist in Singapore is vital to your healing. Worry less and follow these tips to find the perfect gastroenterologist that can help manage and treat your condition:
- Ask your GP – Most likely your GP knows a doctor that specializes in GI conditions within their network.
- Ask your family and friends for referrals – If your GP cannot recommend a gastroenterologist, then you can turn to your family or friends who may refer you to a doctor that they have consulted with.
- Do your research – Once you have the list of gastroenterologists that were recommended to you, take time to research about the experience of each doctor. Check if they have a board certification. This is very important as this stands as proof that a doctor was able to undergo the needed training and have the skills necessary to care for patients who have gastrointestinal conditions. Another important aspect to check is whether a certain doctor has any record of malpractice. You would not want to be under the care of someone who can put your health at risk.
- Think gender – Being comfortable with the gender of your gastroenterologist is one factor that can also affect the success of your treatment. Remember that you will be discussing personal information during your consultation and this should be done as openly as possible.
- Clinic or hospital quality – The quality of care you receive from the facility where you will be treated should be carefully considered. Your doctor should be using safe and medically approved equipment in their clinic or hospital. The surroundings where any medical procedure is performed should also be extra clean and thoroughly sanitized. Your health is at stake here and your goal is to be free from any disease, not get further complications from your treatment.
Gastritis is a condition that can be cured with proper care and guidance from a gastritis specialist, otherwise known as a gastroenterologist. A gastroenterologist is a doctor that has extensive knowledge, experience, training, and skills to provide care for patients that exhibit gastritis symptoms and other GI conditions. Immediately consult with a gastritis specialist to avoid worsening the state of your GI tract.
Gastrohealth Clinic – Dr Bhavesh Doshi | Gastroenterologist | Colonoscopy Singapore
6A Napier Rd, #03-370 Gleneagles Hospital Annexe Block, Singapore 258500
+65 6355 5773